Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eggplant

Eggplant is actually a pretty amazing little (well big vegitable), the local farmer's market sells them for about 1.50 each, and man one of those will feed me for 4 or 5 meals. The other day, I wondered what i could make with this vegitable since I had 2 of them at home, and didn't want them to go bad. So searching on vegweb.com I came across several recipes i thought would be outstanding, but this one I am including was one the easiest, and two I didn't have to go out and get stuff to make it, I had most of the ingrediants at home, and what I didn't I improvised.

So here is the stuff you will need

1 large eggplant
1 orange pepper and 1 green pepper
1 red onion or regular white one
zucchini, med
2 tomatoes, med
bread crumbs or corn flakes
vinegar (homemade flavor or balsimic)
garlic cloves or minced garlic
1 can fat-free spaghetti sauce
salt, oregano, other italian spices to taste
cheese

Directions:

I cut the eggplant into round slices and placed them in a bowl, then add the balsomic vinegar to the bowl. Then i put the bowl into the microwave for 5-7 minutes in order to soften the eggplant.

The eggplant is placed in the cassorole dish, then a thin layer of bread crums or corn flakes is placed on top to cover the eggplant layer.

Then I spread 2 table spoons of minced garlic over this layer, and some orgeno.

Next I cover the first layer with chopped peppers, sliced zucchini, sliced tomatoes, onions and minced garlic. Followed by a small jar of spaggetti sauce and cheese.

Then i place the cassrole dish into the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

This is a really great tasting dish, I was very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment